I attended a session titled ‘Project Management’, which was very useful! The tutor showed us some models and methods for applying a scientific model of corporate or programme management to an academic environment. Specifically, three factors, cost, time and scope, represented as the ‘Triple Constraint’ triangle was very interesting. It gives you a clear idea of how to balance each factor in your project.
I also found a useful website Program Success, which explains the model in detail and effectively!
Good project management is all about control, completion and quality definition. The tutor stressed planning the project weekly:
- set blocks per week
- set weekly goals
- keep weekly achievements
My achievements from Week 8:
- I made a substantial change in my research proposal and submitted it.
- Teaching went well.
- I joined two research seminars.
Goals for the next week are to
- prepare for the 3rd supervision meeting
- attend three training sessions
- do more student-led activities in class
- work on literature review, adding at least 700 words by 3rd March
As for my social life, I still have no close friend here! Strangely, I haven’t felt the necessity to socialise with friends for now, and it might be because Luca has greatly supported me, and I have enjoyed interacting with my students on a daily basis. But I always hope to have a friend in this town to have a bit of a social life!