I have been translating information sheets and consent forms for my field research into Japanese, which is a very tough job! I need to finish this by 8th August.
On Thursday I flew from England to Japan to conduct my three-week preliminary field research. I will be making observations in Tokyo for the next two weeks, with further observations in a rural region in the third week. I will keep a record of all details of my fieldwork every day!
Soon after I arrived in Tokyo on Friday, I went straight to see a doctor. A rash came out on my arms two weeks ago. Although I had previously visited a walk-in clinic and got some medication from a nurse, there was no sign of it getting better. The Japanese doctor said that the rash was caused by fatigue and stress, and gave me some tablets and a pack of cream. They worked well, and the rash has gone since I submitted my draft. It might have been due to stress, as the doctor said.
My achievements in Week 31:
- Sent my draft of Chapter 3 (revised the first half sections) to my supervisors on Saturday
- Started translating the forms for five participant groups and finished one sheet (out of five)
Goals for Week 32:
- Complete the translations of all the information sheets and consent forms
- Start making my fieldwork notes
- Maximise fun time with my old friends whom I can see only once a year!
I was very lucky. They upgraded me to business class.