Week 106: Coding transcripts

No comments

This week, I sent my supervisors a working draft of my consultation analysis, which was the first version of coded transcripts. This includes original text, word-by-word translation, pragmatic translation, symbols of conversation analysis and codes of my analytical dimensions. This text data is saved in Word documents for the moment, but I’ve been thinking about how to organise codes better and sort data systematically. My colleague has recommended NVivo. It takes a little time to learn the software, but it might be worth using it.

While preparing for a supervisory day next week, I continue to transcribe data. Only 11 cases to go! I’ve made such progress by using my commute hours to London. I’m very happy to teach Japanese in the Strand area, because it gives me the chance to drop into the National Gallery (home of many works by my favourite artists), get a view of London Eye from Trafalgar Square and shop at Japan Centre.

 

 

My involvement in data

In the process of transcribing data, I recollect what I saw, heard and felt about the participants in the field. Listening to audio and reading through my notes takes me back to the scene. It’s a very deep feeling and each case becomes more interesting to me. Case studies really make the transcriber get involved in the context, and sometimes they might find it difficult to keep a distance and give critical views. I’ve tried to be objective while thinking of the participants with a sort of familiarity and gratefulness.

 

Beef stew

The most notable thing for me in week 106 is that I cooked beef for the first time ever and made beef stew – a new challenge. I used plenty of red wine, garlic and ginger to slowly cook the beef and added starch (potatoes), onions, carrots and mushrooms, letting it all simmer for 2.5 hours. The flavour was great and the sauce was absolutely delicious. My first attempt at cooking beef was probably fine – I haven’t had an allergic reaction so far! I forgot to take a photo of it, but I’d love it make it again.

 

My achievements in week 106

  • Sent the working draft to my supervisors.
  • Finished making a full transcript of one case.
  • Finished teaching preparation.

Goals for week 107

  • Make transcripts and work on analysis. (These won’t be finished until the end of March.)
  • Enjoy week 1 class of my teaching. (The first class is always great fun!)